Unfortunately most people in the UK buy a dehumidifier when damage to their belongings or property has already been done. If you are one of these people you will know just how crucial a dehumidifier is to protect your home, furniture and belongings from the adverse effects of damp, condensation and high humidity. Dehumidifiers are best bought as a preventive measure. Read the Top 10 Reasons for Buying a Dehumidifier from the dehumidifier experts.
Save money on expensive energy and heating bills. Dehumidifiers
, especially desiccant dehumidifiers
, use low amounts of energy. Some dehumidifiers have their own smart scheduling functions, such as the Dimplex Forte dehumidifier.
2. Prevent and stop wallpaper from peeling. High humidity, condensation and damp can cause wallpaper to discolour and eventually peel from the wall. How do you Prevent wallpaper peeling? A dehumidifier sucks the high humidity and moisture that causes the wallpaper to peel right out of the air.
3. Get rid of musty, foisty and stale smelling odours caused by damp conditions. High humidity and damp can cause a lot of unpleasant smells. This problem will only get worse and cannot be fixed with air fresheners, they just mask the problem. a dehumidifier will put an end to foul smelling damp rooms.
4. Get rid of mould and mildew. Damp and wet areas such as the bathroom, basement and garage are very prone to mould and mildew build ups. Mould and mildew is in fact a living thing, it is bacteria that flourishes in warm and damp areas. A dehumidifier will prevent mould and mildew buildups.
If slugs and silverfish inhabit your home then this is a sure sign that a dehumidifier is needed. Slugs and silverfish absolutely love warm, dark and damp conditions. They will invite themselves in to your home if the air in your home is particularly humid. Killing them will not stop them for long, solve the problem by buying a low energy, efficient dehumidifier
such as a desiccant.
6. One of the biggest reasons that people buy dehumidifiers is to prevent wood from expanding, shrinking or rotting. Dehumidifiers help maintain the integrity of the wood, especially in older houses, which in turn can save you a LOT of money.
7. Drying clothes in a room with a dehumidifier will leave them smelling fresh and firm and is also a lot cheaper than using a tumble dryer. There is nothing worse than leaving your clothes to dry on the clothes horse and then checking back on them and finding that the clothes are still damp and smell musty. Use a dehumidifier, it is the best method for drying clothes inside.
8. It is imperative that you keep all those old family photo albums dry. Leaving photographs, photobooks and photo albums in a garage or spare room puts them in danger of feeling the effects of damp and condensation. A dehumidifier will keep the area dry and your photos and documents will not be ruined.
9. Dehumidifiers help pets dry more quickly and cleanly. Pets smell fresher when dehumidifiers are positioned in the room that they spend most of their time in, making a home with a pet a much more pleasant place to live.
10. Ever tried to turn on an electrical item which has been in the garage or basement for a long time and been surprised when it does not work? That is because it has been damaged by damp. High humidity means moisture in the air gets inside electrical items. Moisture also damages furniture and other belongings. A quality home dehumidifier will protect your home and all its belongings from the damage that high humidity can cause.